The Safe Use of Pesticides Foundation Module.
This course prepares trainees for taking an assessment for the LEVEL 2 AWARD in the safe use of pesticides. When this Award is coupled with any of the applicator units, the holder is legally qualified to apply pesticides under the current legislation. The Safe Use of Pesticides unit is a prerequisite to any of the applicator units and must be passed before attemting any other applicator unit assessment.
At the end of the course you will have the skills and knowledge to be able to:
- Understand your duties under the law which help you to make a safe and effective pesticide application
- Understand what pesticides are and the meaning of their "field of use"
- explain the legislation relevant to pesticide application
- Interpret and understand product label information
- Take appropriate action to protect individuals and the environment
- Store and transport pesticides safely
- Dispose of pesticide waste and containers safely
- Make all the necessary records of pesticide use on your holding.
All users of professional pesticide products for the following fields of use:
- Horticulture (including Amenity Horticulture)
- Common terms for using pesticides
- Consequences of not using and/or handling pesticides safely
- Legislation that affects pesticide use
- Pesticide product labels
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Safe storage and transport of pesticides
- Environmental factors
- Disposal of waste pesticide and containers
- Dealing with accidents
- Keeping records of pesticide use.
Learners on this course MUST be able to read and interpret written information. Please make any specific learning difficulties known to us prior to the course. Every effort will be made to make this course accessible to all.
All spraying equipment to be used on the course must be thoroughly decontaminated before commencement. Instructors have the right to refuse to use equipment that is contaminated or looks as though it is contaminated with pesticide.
The course is run over one day - approx 08:30 to 16:30 - some delegates who have had little or no experience in this field might require additional training in order to pass the assessment.
Please discuss this with us prior to the course. Courses can be run at your venue if adequate facilities exist or at one of our venues if not.